.htaccess password protection problem
Both the username and password are each one string of characters with no spaces and are all in lower case. Be sure to renew attempt using these conditions before moving to the next step.
The members section of this website resides in a password protected directory and like other membership websites (e.g. - Ancestry.com, Facebook.com and Twitter.com, as examples) all require cookies to be enabled to be able to enter the website, and authenticated by providing username and password. If you are having trouble accessing the members section, the first step is to follow the instructions on the linked help page or follow the instructions below
If you choose to follow the instructions on the linked help page, be aware that cookies can be set for all sites or by individual site. If you should opt to allow for the individual site, you may wish to set to allow cookies for both www.callawegian.org and members.callawegian.org .
Help page to enable cookies.
The first step is to turn on "cookies" by altering privacy settings.
1) Click on "Tools" in the menu bar at the top of the window in Internet Explorer.
2) In the drop-down menu select "Internet Options" at the bottom of the drop-down.
3) In the Internet Options window that opens, click on the "Privacy" tab.
4) In the "Settings" section at the top of the window, slide the slider down until the privacy setting is "Medium".
5) Click on "Apply" and then click on "OK".
6) Try to access the password protected section of the website again.
If this fails, then move on to the next section of settings.
This works for earlier versions of Internet Explorer (IE5.5 and later). I haven't had to try it in the latest versions of IE, but it might be the same.
1) Click on "Tools" in the Menu Bar
2) Click on "Internet Options" in the drop-down menu that appears
3) Click on the "Security" tab
4) Underneath "Select a Web content zone to specify...", "Internet" should be highlighted. If it isn't, click on it to highlight.
5) Click on the "Custom Level..." button
6) Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list under "Settings:" where you will see "User Authentication" and "Logon".
7) Click in the circle next to "Prompt for username and password" to put a dot in it.
8) Click the "OK" button
9) Click the "OK" button
10) You should now be back to the normal Internet Explorer view and out of the Internet Options. Try the address again or click here.
If the above attempts fail to gain access for you, please contact the Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society through the e-mail addresses or phone numbers provided on the contact page of the unprotected section of the website.